What Authors Need to Know, Part IIAugust 6th, 2015 | Posted by in Uncategorized
I’m continuing with my post from Monday about PR and what authors need to know.
Number six is simple.
6. Be willing to go the extra mile. Bookstores will not bend over backward for you. Neither will media, distributors or readers. You must drive, fly, spend money to get noticed. If you are lucky enough to get a mention by a celebrity that garners more PR, that is great but it is part luck and part hard work.
7. Be sure to work with a publisher that has distribution. This will open doors to getting into more stores and it will give you needed credibility.
8. Take your time. Send the book to numerous publishers and find the right fit. Traditional publishing has gatekeepers for a reason. They want the best product and they don’t want to rush.
9. Beef up your social media. I recommend using Twitter. Facebook is OK if you want to see baby pictures or know what your second cousin is doing today, but Twitter, Instagam, Snapchat,Pintrest are where Millennials hang out.
10. Lastly, think about what else you can talk about beside your book. What did you learn while writing it? You are now an expert on that topic.
Also, if you need help, let’s talk.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.