Every time I need a refresher in pitching, I read Ragan’s PR Daily on Zite. I love their strategy to telling a good story: simple and true.
This one caught my eye today. It’s so true! I’ll keep it in mind every time I pitch:
Here are those five pitches from the article.
1. New hires, expansions and mergers
2. Irrelevant products and services
3. Weekly newsletter updates
4. Jargon-laced rundowns of campaigns and newsjacking
So what works?
1. I agree with the article that using Twitter is a big help. I just did this last week with a reporter in South Dakota.
2. Less is more. Don’t saturate the market. Get one outlet to write an extensive article.
3. If you are going to have a release, make it an action-oriented release. For example, have a verb in your headline v. a title.
4. Figure out who is in charge of a certain show. Don’t pitch an anchor.
5. It takes time and research! Don’t pitch haphazardly.
Enjoy your Tuesday!