Some useful tips to promotionMarch 20th, 2014 | Posted by in Uncategorized
Happy Thursday! We are starting to warm up here in Minnesota. I hope your weather is on the upswing as well.
People always ask me how to sell a book. How does one write a bestseller?
I do my best to bring them down to Earth. Let me say this at the beginning: writing a book is difficult but selling a book is exceptionally difficult!
Here are some of my tips:
1. Do not be promotional. Be credible, interesting and exciting but everyone can see through promotion. In other words, sell without selling.
2. Keep information short and sweet. Have you ever seen a person with a 2-page biography? One thinks: wow, they think they are important. It will turn the reader off. Keep it short and do not tell us too much.
3. Don’t assume everyone has time to talk to you. Everyone is busy and they will get in touch if they are interested.
4. Be interesting! If you are promoting a book about war, discuss how you made it through. If you are writing a short story, discuss your writing process.
5. The most important tip is to always put yourself in the shoes of your respondent. It may be a journalist, speaking coordinator, producer or bookstore owner. Answer the question: why should I care?
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.