It has officially started! Can you feel it! The celebrities are gathering!
Now, I love an award show but come on, we are overdoing it! I counted, there are 50!!!
Here are a few:
- The Academy Awards (a.k.a. “The Oscars”)
- The Golden Globe Awards
- The S.A.G. Awards
- The Emmy Awards
- The People’s Choice Awards
- Hollywood Film Awards
- MTV Movie Awards
- Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards
- Critics’ Choice Movie Awards (a.k.a. the Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards)
- Teen Choice Awards
- Kid’s Choice Awards
- People’s Choice Awards (because Teens and Kids don’t count apparently)
- Independent Spirit Awards
- American Film Institute Awards
- BAFTA Film Awards (British, so it doesn’t really count either)
- Various Critics’ Association Film Awards (19 separate U.S. cities or states listed)
- Film Festival Awards (five in the U.S. counting Sundance, plus don’t forget Cannes
So I came up with an idea.
I think we should have an award show for normal Americans! I don’t mean a HERO show or a show about a normal person doing something extraordinary. We should have a show honoring the best plumber, carpenter, teacher, student, editor, writer, boss, etc .
It can be the same format as a normal award show, red carpet, dresses, tuxes and speeches. It would be fascinating to see Sam from Seattle get an award for just doing his job.
I guess my point is this: we focus on one or two industries and put those individuals on a pedestal. The day when we realize no job is more important than another is the day we truly become equal.
Happy Golden Globe day on Sunday!