I wanted to take today’s post and discuss an issue in book PR that arise quite often. Many times authors print or publish a book and assume their books will be on the stands at every Barnes & Noble.
This is not the case. It’s not even the best place to sell books.
Here are some truths that every author needs to know:
1. When you are self-published the chances of getting into the major stores are slim. There are always chances but most likely it will be piecemeal v. in a lumps sum.
2. Bookstores or big-box stores will want a guarantee. They want to take something that will sell. Usually they will make the book returnable and this can cost authors money.
3. You need to promote and create a story before bookstores will be attracted.
4. Amazon is very dominate right now. Sell books on our web site and try to combat Amazon.
5. Last but not least, create a connection with a person who is a distributor. Do something for them. It is always good business to help others.
Until next time..